Tuesday, April 8, 2008

National Civil Rights Museum

The next morning, we went to the "National Civil Rights Museum", which is connected to the Lorraine Motel (where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. The museum was incredible, and we wound up touring it with a group of congressmen. John Lewis was the main speaker in the group, & his pictures were all over the museum. He was one of the main leaders in the civil rights movement, & we were just shocked that we got to hear him speak about that time in his life. To commemorate the 40 year mark of Dr. King's assassination, these congressmen gave speaches & set out a wreath in his honor. Bryan & I also sang "We Shall Overcome" with this group, along with the ambassador of South Africa! I went back into the building after this was over, & when I opened the door, Jesse Jackson was walking out. He spoke briefly with John Lewis, & I suppose they are pretty good friends because he stuck his tongue out at him. Jesse Jackson went up to the balcony outside room 306 where Dr. King was assassinated & recounted the events to reporters. He was standing right next to Dr. King at that moment, & actually had to make the call to King's wife to give her the news. Talk about being at the right place at the right time! It was truly an incredible experience.

No comments: